Thursday, January 21, 2016

Holding My First Published Work

On a far more sentimental note than most of this blog will be, my boyfriend's copy of Diary In The Dark came in today and it's been  . . . something of an experience. Even with the contract signed and the manuscript edited, even once I had cover art it always felt a little bit like everything could stop. Probably that was the anxiety, but a piece of my brain kept muttering that at any minute Diary could not happen.

Then it went up on Amazon, and that was excellent, but also intangible. It was no more real in that moment than it was on my google drive. (Totally not knocking e-books, e-books are excellent.)

But here it is. Solid and soft and smelling like new book. This was my first chance to see the font Strigidae used for the titles (I love it) and, if I'm being entirely honest, I'm a little overwhelmed. As in, my hands are shaking and I keep sneaking glances over at it like it's going to move or stop existing any minute now.

Any way, I sent Neil Gaiman an ask on tumblr because he's made himself magically approachable (also he's one of two authors I'm following on tumblr and I'm a little afraid of Gemma Files, she's just so . . . neat) and asked if it gets less awe-inspiring to hold your own book for the first time or if his hands still shake. I'm guessing it gets less, but who knows.

Not me, that's who.

No comments:

Post a Comment