Tuesday, February 16, 2016

ADHD and Writing.

The question "what are you working on" is often a double-edged sword for me. In addition to the lovely Depression and Anxiety I'm usually dealing with, I have pretty nasty ADHD, so focusing can be tricky. Because ADHD isn't uncommon, particularly amongst the creative types, I thought I'd just formally state that it's okay to have multiple projects going and to work on them simultaneously. This might get tricky if you have deadlines, but when you don't, it's fine.

Somedays, the project you're working on is going to feel like an uphill fight more than usual. You will be staring at the page and you'll have no idea how words work but you'll have a million other ideas.

Start a new thing. Even if you'll never finish it. Take the twenty minutes or so and start your new story. Don't forget the first one, leave that tab open and go back to it every hour or so, see if you can make the words work, but don't stress it if you start something new.

Right now, my primary project is supposed to be book 2 of Nibelung so I can submit book 1 places. I've been working on The Chained instead because it's been easier and at this moment I can't make The Chained cooperate and so I'm editing Idol-Chatter and writing a blog post.

It's fine. I promise you, it's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment